Thursday, February 7, 2013

DIY Farmhouse Table

I will be updating this a little as I go and since it is under construction, please ignore my saw dust (pun intended).

It is finally finished. I think we ended up with 4 coats of polyurethane but it sure made a difference and was well worth the extra waiting time. Here it is!


Another angle

So here is a picture tutorial of the process:

 We used 2 x 8 pine boards for the table top and 2 x 4 boards for the apron.

Here is the table top (turned upside down) and the apron

Add the legs using 4 x 4's

add some cross supports. We used 1 x 2's but it might be better to use 2 x 4's. I guess it depends on how much weight you plan to put on your table.

whew, it took some serious muscle to get this baby turned upright
added stain after sanding (Minwax English Chestnut)

another view after staining - dont you love the snowman table cloth that we used as a drop cloth...

It is in the kitchen on top of a drop cloth and some wood boards. Now it is time to add the polyurethane. I just had to add some decorations to get an idea of how it will look. I will post a final picture once it is finished.

Here is the table with the first coat of the polyurethane

Here it is after another coat of poly. We need to let it dry, sand out the bubbles and then hopefully put on just one last coat.

Waiting for the polyurethane to dry......      waiting.....      waiting.....     waiting....             I hate waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment